One of the most famous browsers on the internet i.e. Opera got an awesome updae today. Yes! Opera 11.10 codnamed ‘Barracuda’ has been released and is ready to download. This release is also there for Ubuntu 11.04, so that Natty users can also enjoy their loving browser’s improved version. This time Opera has come up with a new name ‘Barracuda’, a new engine Presto, a new image format WebP and many UI improvements and loads of bugfixes. For download links and installation in Ubuntu, read on.
Code name - Opera 11.10 uses “Barracuda” as its code name.
Opera Engine – Opera 11.10 uses the new Opera Presto 2.8 rendering engine as identified in its user agent string.
URL Filter API for Opera extensions - The URL Filter API for Opera extensions defines a DOM interface that allows extensions to add temporary rules to Opera’s native content blocker.
WebP - Opera adds support for the Google WebP image format.
Search – Search hijacking protection: Opera now prevents third party applications from hijacking searches and other customizations in Opera.
Mail – Added support for phrase searching, improved CJK searches, & improvements made to the panel, including a setting to disable automatic toggling.
UI Improvements –
- Added Speed Dial animations & added ability to set the number of Speed Dial columns.
- Improvements made to the Speed Dial flow layout, button to configure Speed Dial & it can now be zoomed.
- Added a new dialog when adding/editing Speed Dials.
- Now possible to add a custom title to Speed Dials, through the new add/edit dialog.
- Updated styling for internal pages, and search suggestions on error pages.
- Removed “Yes/No” choice from the intranet toolbar; made the suggested url clickable.
- Prevent third party applications from hijacking searches and other customizations in Opera.
- Configure Speed Dial dialogue: remove the cross button (close) at top right.
Feature improvements –
- Declarative UI – A human friendly data serialization standard for all programming languages, a tool for visual layout development of YAML based CSS layouts.
- Improves adaptation to different string sizes for different languages, changes in layout for a specific platform to get closer to platform guidelines & dialogs with variable contents.
- Feature discoverability – Subtle animations and messages have been added to improve discoverability of Opera features.
UI Method -
Installing Opera is really easy, just a matter of 2 clicks. Just download the above file and open it with Ubuntu Software Center and click ‘Install’ button. Upgrading is also possible if you ahve previous versions of Opera installed. Opera 11 users can wait a few hours till the latest version is available via Update manager.
Terminal Method -
Download the above file and locate it. Open the terminal and type
sudo dpkg -i opera_11.10.2092_i386.deb
and done. Opera will be installed on your Ubuntu now. Take a look >_#
Opera 11.10 Upgrade
Ubuntu comes preinstalled with Firefox which is another awesome browser than why Opera. Well the following things will compell you to download and install it.
Opera Unite is a new technology platform allowing you to share content directly with friends, without having to upload anything to a Web site. You can stream music, show photo galleries, share files and folders, or even host your own Web pages directly from your browser.
Opera Extensions work flawlessly to improve your intenret browsing. No-Ads, Gamil Chcker, WOT, TabVault etc. are pretty cool extensios you would like to have.
Opera Turbo loads webpages faster on slow Internet connections while other browsers get left in the dust. Opera Turbo mode that can load webpages up to five times faster than other browsers.
Opera Widgets is a collection is pretty useful widgets for a better browsing experience. The include GoogleToolbar, eBookreader, Google Translator, Shoutcast Player etc.
Opera offers an email client built right into your favorite browser. Opera Mail powerfully organizes, indexes, and sorts your messages while transforming your Opera web browser into a complete communication tool.
Opera Link is a convenient way to share browser information between computers and devices, so you always have it with you, wherever you go.
Njoy Opera !