Conky is a free, lightweight system monitor for GNU/Linux/BSD, that displays any information on your desktop i.e Cpu usage, Disk usage, Download/Upload speeds, CPU/Hard Disk temperatures, list of programs with pid (taking max cpu) etc . Originally a fork of Torsmo, Conky’s torsmo-based code is BSD licensed. New code in Conky has been licensed under the GPL 3.0.
Over the years, Conky has changed significantly from its predecessor, while maintaining simplicity and configurability. Conky can display just about anything, either on your root desktop or in its own window. Not only does Conky have many built-in objects, it can also display just about any piece of information by using scripts and other external programs.
Features : It has more than 300 built-in objects including support for :
- A big list of OS stats (username, uptime, CPU usage, memory usage, download, upload, disk usage, “top” like process stats, and network monitoring, just to name a few)
- Built in IMAP and POP3 support
- Built in support for many popular music players (MPD, XMMS2, BMPx, Audacious)
- Can be extended using built in Lua support, or any of your own scripts and programs.
- Built in Imlib2 and Cairo bindings for arbitrary drawing with Lua.
and much much more….
Conky can display this info either as text, or using simple progress bars and graph widgets, with different fonts and colors.